Saturday, May 12, 2018

Reboot


Reboot

May 12, 2018
Melide to Santiago; three days, 57km

I apologize for my blog going dark these last three days.  I believe and hope you will understand as I share a spiritual transformation that has been occurring. It was so amazing to me, dare I say, a miracle enveloping within me along these days that I could not find words to express them until I reached Santiago. Here’s what’s been happening.

Three days ago I hobbled into Melide.  My foot pains and blisters, which started a week prior, were insanely painful.  I gathered all the ‘fortitude’ I could muster to make it to this city. I’d been here before, a really lovely city. My foot pain was serious and two opportunities were available here. I knew of a clinic right in town and the location of a bus station if I needed to ride ahead.

The clinician examined my foot, shook her head, and said apologetically, “I am sorry. Your Camino is fin (ended). She well knew how devastating such news is to a pilgrim.  It certainly tore my heart out. I was but 57km away, a mere 35 miles away. I was just three days away, just three.  Because she could see the agony in my every step, she walked to a counter, pulled something off the shelf and returned.  It was a cushioned pad that is worn between and around the toes. It held a thick cushion for the ball of the foot. As soon as it was slipped on my foot, there was an instant comfort.  The cushion reduced the sharp contact of the footstep. She also examined a med I was carrying, but hadn’t taken for fear of the symptoms. “These are a strong anti-inflammatory with pain killer. They must be taken with food.”

I left feeling sad, but finally with some guidance.  Before I walked out the door, the clinician ran and caught me at the door, “Sir, take the medicine, rest your foot, and see how it feels tomorrow. You might find enough improvement to be able to walk carefully again.”
Hope. That was pure and sweet hope born out of my weakness.

That evening I caught the pilgrim mass. I knelt in prayer begging God what I should do, should I take the bus and be safe or do take the chance of leaving this little haven and try to walk a shorter way and slower? What if I got so pained I couldn’t go on? How would I get help in the remote area ahead? I only knew one thing: I was weak and in crazy pain.

Drifting into my evening prayer was this scripture, 2 Corinthians 12:9
“But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.”

I so recall sitting on the bottom bunk in this old albergue among a crowd of French speaking pilgrims. They were just doing the pilgrim thing, but they had no idea of the heartache I was wrestling. I just sat there and prayed. I prayed a man’s desperate prayer. “I am weak, Lord, and I need you. You know my heart, and You well know how I long to finish this Camino. I am just three days, just three ..single ..days ..away. But I surrender it. I give the Camino back to you.”

I remember sleeping the sleep of dead that night. My body was spent. I did recollect being grateful for the cushioned pad while I walked to the washroom during the night. The morning held a far greater surprise. I unthinkingly stepped out of bed to begin gathering belongs and start the repacking my bag.  I’d been standing for a while until it dawned on me. My foot pain was now a 2-3 on the pain scale, a great improvement from the 8-9 pain the night before. I tested it. It’s way better.

I got geared up and back in my boots.  My foot was tender, but manageable. Hope sunrised in me, and His grace was present. Yea, it was like a holy presence. It was if Christ did a “reboot” within me.  I’ve seen what a transformation this is when a computer program gets stuck and can’t or won’t perform. A simple “reboot” will reenergize and bring power back into the program. I was experiencing a spiritual reboot. A miracle was happening in real time  these last three days.

Don’t get me wrong. The trail would still demand such physical exertion and my foot still pounded away, but prayer and faith guarded my footsteps got me from Melide to Arzua, 15km away. I’d arrive weakened and pained, but encouraged by a new power turbining in me. Ok, so this will sound strange, but I felt a power I’d never recognized before by being, well, weak.  I was both suffering, maintaining, and yet still feeling power generating within me. I don’t know I fully understand this.
Day 2 of this miracle on foot, I left Arzua in hopes of reaching Amenal, a location further out , with the motivation of making the last day into Santiago shorter.  A power moved in me, one greater than I can explain. Whatever was energizing me also sustained my foot pain for a distance of 23km.  I was the one walking, but I couldn’t understand how it was possible because once the walking ended, the crazy pain returned during bedtime. 

Today I arrived in Santiago. Praise you, Lord. I am overrun with joy.  Though it is much more than joy, it is the full knowledge that it was His grace that was sufficient. 

I sit at this very old hostel just 50m from the cathedral and find myself boasting of my weaknesses. Yes, my crazy foot pain is present, but grace is still alive in me.
I suffer from weaknesses from six, agonizing blisters, injury and inflammation on the ball of my foot, tendinitis, raging athlete’s foot with burning and itching, a chest cold and hacking cough, and stabbing pain between my shoulder blades from carrying my 19 pound backpack 200 miles.
To all of these I willingly boast. I beg, not for any esteem for me, but in this fact. I have been graced to experience “the power of Christ resting on me.”

Here’s the thing. It’s all about Him. No stubbornness in me could have managed this. No grit in me could have made it over the terrain and distance. It was one thing alone, and please make no mistake about it.

I received a spiritual reboot followed by a power given solely by Him. There was nothing heroic on my part. It was Him, only Him.

Perhaps this might find you at a time when you’re feeling weak. Maybe you’re bearing up some crazy challenge with work and those you work with. It may be a home issue with a loved one. Perhaps it’s something you’re dreading or fearful.  It might just be that you’re just plain exhausted by all that life demands. Health issues will deplete us and certainly make us weak too.

Here is my encouragement. Admit that you are weak and in what way.  Be boldly honest. So many play the “I’m ok, I can handle it” macho image. In living behind this mask one condemns themselves to prolonged stress and pain. Admitting weakness does the opposite of what we initially reject our self-image of being a failure. Admitting weakness is the honest step to new power. Owning our weakness creates a vacuum that allows power to fill in the new gap. After all, who are we fooling with that phony approach to God. Really?! He knows us, and He longs to talk the real person bearing weaknesses.

Then we need only beg His help.  What parent would refuse help to their child who is struggling and hurt? No, we would rush to pick them up, wipe away their tears, and lovingly comfort them. Our Father is a good, good father. He did this for me, and will do this for you. Yes, for all of us.  
What’s left? Surrender the outcome to His care.  That is something many stubbornly refuse.  But there is something liberating in surrender. The outcome allows us to win. The prize of surrender is a gift that we didn’t know we wanted, or were not even aware we needed. It is precisely where faith grows, no flourishes!

I know this might all sound preachy. It was not my intent, because in fact, these are the very steps that progressed in my “reboot” these last days.  My tears, and honestly I literally cried tears in piercing blisters formed over blisters. Those tears were not wasted. His grace was more than sufficient for me.

Is His grace sufficient enough for you? I pray it is.

Fondly, Deacon Willie




No comments:

Post a Comment