Saturday, April 28, 2018

God of Surprises


God of Surprises

April 28, 2018
Hospital de Orbigo to Astorga

This Camino day has been a trail of “good news/bad news. This is how the day played out.
I started the walk today under heavy cloudy skies and an extra sharp cold nip in the air.  I wore all I owned to stay warm.  It worked wonderfully.  I was traveling alone because companions I met were staying in a location far from me.  No worries. I enjoy the solitude and got my head down in prayer and God’s great beauty around me.  To avoid some stiff, chilly, mountain breezes in my face, I had my face looking into my boots. Big mistake. I missed the main trail and passed the cutoff.  Once I got to a bus stop, I sat studying the map when a kind Spaniard stopped to help me.  I used all the hillbilly Spanish I could muster to ask if I did in fact miss the cutoff. He pointed to the map assuring me that the trail I was on was the correct one. Yet, I was unconvinced.  I was certain I missed it and the opportunity to revisit a roadside stand run by a loving and humble named David. This I dearly wanted to visit again.

I plodded ahead with the old Spaniard ahead knowing that I missed my chance for another encounter with David, a pure gift for my Camino.  The loss of this opportunity was weighing on me as I plodded on mile after mile. Then my memory flashed to some of the Ignatian spirituality I’ve been immersed in these past years.  A rich dimension of the saint’s advice for richer spiritual growth is captured in what he calls, “The principle and foundation.” In simple language it is “to be indifferent to richness over poverty, health over sickness, honor over dishonor. That it is only in Christ that is our desire.” In this spiritual mindset, it is the opportunity to develop a holy indifference, to accept all the events in life as a gift.

I recognized my disordered attention to wanting what I wanted because I wanted it.  I recognized that in demanding life my way, I was also removing myself from a God surprise of a new and better joy and a far better purpose could be in store for me. With that I surrendered, “I may never see David again, Lord, but I accept it.”

I plodded along another 4 miles until reaching a monument marking my destination town of Astorga.  A short visit with a wonderful couple from Bolivia netted a surprising bit of news.  They had just arrived on the trail I missed and David was a mere mile and half back.  I saw this as a God surprise and gift.

A short walk later, I stood before David and his famed fruit and snack stand. I met him in 2013 when I stopped and discovered there was a film crew capturing video of David for a documentary film they were doing on him.  Good reason for this, he lives on a small farm plot there and keeps a fruit and juice bar available for approaching pilgrims. After his camino, he set up shop there with a life mission to serve pilgrims.

To say he lives modestly is an understatement. David welcomes pilgrim after pilgrim by ringing a bell, running out to them, and throwing an arm over their shoulder. He asks each pilgrim personally, “Are you well friend? Please help yourself.” Pilgrims ask, “What is the price?” David’s standard response, “It is not important.” There is a donation box for gifts. On this alone he supports himself and restocks supplies. It is quite amazing to feel the love and generosity abound in this place radiated by David’s complete surrender to life on the Spirit’s time.  There was an added surprise.  I met up with the pilgrims I left behind. Oh God of surprises!

The remainder of my Camino day was refreshed by the rich opportunity in Ignatian Principle and Foundation. That is, to embrace a mystery of faith along life’s ordinary daily events..  Life has surprises, and many times I don’t see the good in them. But if I believe, really believe Matthew 7:11 that God is a good father who knows how to give good things to his children. This is a faith that allows me work on holding life lightly. Being in control, playing God, does far from allowing me peace. In God alone is freedom.

More of the things that matter, really matter to me, like love, joy, and peace come when I surrender more and more of my life to Him. Saints we admire have done this. They have endured suffering and death to give their all to God. Their lives were glowing examples of living a holy indifference.
Isn’t it true for us as well. The more we surrender for Him, for His glory, for love of Him, the more of Him fills our life.  And with more of him, the power of love is uncontainable.

Where do we start to develop a holy indifference and take life as opportunities for our good Father to grow us into His saints?

Perhaps it’s in the next God surprise that presents itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment