Thursday, April 19, 2018

Re-recalled to Pilgrimage


April 19, 2018
Re-recalled to Pilgrimage

I am humbled and oh, so grateful. I am about to embark on my third Pilgrimage to el Camino de Santiago.  I completed, by God’s grace, the full 500 mile pilgrimage in 2013 and 2015.  I prepare to walk  from central Spain’s city of Leon and proceed 200 miles to the Cathedral of Santiago.

My calling to pilgrimage was born during prayer time.  In each call, God found a profound and penetrating way to nudge His Way through the distractions of my life to hear His invitation to walk the Camino with Him. I often chuckle at my bargaining with Him, “Lord, couldn’t we have these talks during a simple walk in the neighborhood? On a couple mile walking trail?  Or just sitting at the patio enjoying Your creation?

Yes, of course, God would and does speak to me and you at these places and many other surprising places throughout a typical day and in typical places. God is in all things and everywhere. However, for me, it is along this pilgrimage during long days of silence, freedom from all distractions, and absence from all busyness that my Jesus conversations get deeper and more intimate.  I get tastes of this in my everyday life, but nothing compares to the 24/7 full immersion into prayer while on pilgrimage.

Another undeniable dimension of each Camino calling is that I strongly sensed He had a particular message He wanted to share with me, and at length, while on pilgrimage. I only needed to know I must “have faith” and trust in whatever His plan might be. Regardless of the purpose, I know I would be rewarded with miles and miles, hours upon hours of talking with our Lord along Spain’s breathtaking natural scenic beauty. Another wonderful dimension is that it naturally evolves into a disposition of listening. To really listen. I love this! That is, to settle my mind, to be silent, and to open my heart to whatever message He may wish for me.

A pilgrimage by definition is “a journey to a holy place.”  In truth, all of us are on pilgrimage. We are all fellow pilgrims on the path God has set before us. And wherever our path is and whatever’s ahead, it is holy because it is what God chose for us. There may be side trails we follow, but our destination is the same. Heaven.

The experiences between now and heaven is traveled in a mystery of faith. His hand holds ours along our journey home. You take one hand; I’ll take the other and enjoy this Camino side trail with me. I believe we’ll experience a piece of heaven right here on earth. For our peace comes in holding His hand, our love is being held by Him, and our joy is in the mystery of faith as He leads us.

Look for future blog entries starting about 25 April. I welcome emails along The Way. Text messages are limited.

Buen Camino! (Good journey) Deacon Willie

3 comments:

  1. I love you Uncle Ron! I will be praying and following along! I can not wait to hear how God reveals himself to you along the way! At the end of the day, when you are exhausted, do not forget to stretch (body and soul) and hydrate! I am so proud of your Faithfulness! God Bless You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many Graces on your journey! My daughter is studying in Seville for the semester. I would love to take her back to Spain some time and experience the pilgrimage. She loves Spain. I will be watching and praying!

    ReplyDelete