Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Carpe Diem


16 September 2015

Pamplona

Carpe Diem

After all the steep climbs through the Pyrenees, today’s walk was long (22km), but the hills came late in the day and the steep inclines were brief.  I was so grateful for this.  My quads feel like the Christmas Jello mold after the hour ride to Grandma’s.  However, I’ve been good to myself by taking short breathers and shaking out my legs every hour or so.  God is good.

I started the morning totally clueless on what God might reveal as a new contemplation.  I walked on all morning searching for some clue. Nothing. So, ok Lord, it’s just a quiet day of listening to you.  I’m so good with that and the Camino is can opener for your soul. Things that are tightly lidded tend to lose their grip and you see life in its bare truth.  I began to believe this was the day He had planned for me.  That’s all good by me.

Sometime later we pilgrims traveled along a long forested path.  Another canopy of autumn’s deep green and the leaves’ rattle in the breeze which brought a peace that embraced me.  The trail was gently rolling with only a few breath stealers (what I refer to as steep hills that take your breath away).  To keep livestock from wandering in, there are harshly weathered, rustic wooden gates that swing open for pilgrims.  There on the cross bar of this one gate someone had written in black sharpie, “Carpe Diem,” meaning, “Seize the Day”.  It was odd to see such a thing and I tried to dismiss it.  Didn’t even seem to be anything of a spiritual connect for me.

I was so, so wrong. The well-known quotation played in my head like that early morning tune that replays over and over. That swinging gate and the expression played like a metaphor for me to contemplate my life. How have I and when have I “seized the day” for some life opportunity?  How has entering those events of “day seizing” honored God?  Have some seizing moments been more for me to seize personal glory instead of His glory? What happens in my day when “seizing” is not there and the day is something I just want “to get through it”? After all, every day is a gift from God and the number of them is written in his book (Psalm 139, also my favorite). So many of my days on this side of the hill of 60 years are so much less motivated by career and ‘get ahead’ thinking.  In my day to day living at home, is seizing days even more important?

All day I contemplated the good, the bad, and ugly of the message, Carpe Diem, that is “day seizing”.  It wasn’t until late in the day did I come to my conclusion: When an opportunity for seizing an opportunity within the day, ask, “How might I give God credit as to why I’m even attempting the endeavor? How much of personal gain is motivating the interest in what “seizing” opportunity lies ahead?” Then I also contemplated a revealing question within next the next new opportunity to seize, “Is this interest God centered or self-centered?” It is a truth only contained deep within our heart.

Nice thoughts, but how did the message play out for me personally today?

Here were two Carpe Diem moments for me.  I chose to take a detour just outside of Pamplona, when already fatigued, to see the Church of St. Stephen.  True, I’m a history fanatic, but honestly, the church was erected in the 13th century and it held the oldest bells still in existence in all of Europe, cast sometime in the 12th centure.  What I didn’t realize is that the adventure caused me to take a precipitous rocky ascent on a narrow rocky path up nearly 50 yards. It was one where I was leaning close to my boots it was so vertical. All the while I was asking myself, “Willie, are you crazy?  You could really hurt yourself here.”  Something inside said, “Seize the day, God has a purpose up there.”

When I reached the church, there was a sweet, elderly Sister who managed and offered tours of the church.  The art display behind the altar was an elaborate collection of carved and painted images of Christ crucified, Mary, many saints and St. Stephen, the patron saint of deacons. His service and sacrifice in death for the faith is an inspiration to all deacons. The little nun who was handing out prayer sheets, also encouraged me to take the spiral staircase to the top of the bell tower, 55 stone slab steps up. What a glorious view.

Back down in the church,   I had a blessed time praying the names and prayer needs of family and friends.  I also became infatuated by the thought that this church has been a stronghold of prayer since the early 1200’s.  What prayer and spirituality has been radiating from this structure all those centuries!  How the faithful have been such heralds of the faith to keep it maintained and supported.  They certainly have spent their lives “seizing each day” in faithfulness so that some future pilgrims can enter into its holiness and peace.

I packed and left the church when while going down the hill from the ancient church a new opportunity called me. “Go back and ask Sister for a picture with her.” Each comfortable step away was met by the louder call to go back. “Carpe diem, Willie.” You guessed it, I did an about face and headed back up to the church.  Sister was concluding a short history lesson with a young gentlemen. I interrupted, “Sister, may I have a photo with you?” It was a Times Square light of joy that overcame her. “Of course, of course!” It was so rewarding to bring such delight and respect to one of God’s sacrificial servants.

And lastly, I seize this day in profound gratitude to God for answering my prayer. Since the start of my pilgrimage I have daily begged Him for Wi fi support to power my blog messages. Yesterday I prayed and prayed for a Wi fi signal. He provided it, but the signal was not strong enough. All day today I begged and begged for a strong signal so that my posts would connect.  Pamplona is a large city and the anticipated signal might be stronger. 

Considering that this machine weighs 2.5 pounds, it is such a pain in the back to carry such weight. If the signal was not strong enough in a large city, I seriously considered shipping it back home and doing just a few simple note entries on my phone, far less painful.

I seize this moment to thank God in abundance and accept this, dare I say it, a Wi fi gift as an encouragement to keep writing His daily messages. I am reminded that He really does “have so much more to tell me.”

I carry this mission in love for you all and the back strength He provides.

In great love,

Deacon Willie, DW

 

No comments:

Post a Comment