Monday, October 12, 2015

No Greater Love

12 October 2015

Portamarin

No Greater Love

What a spark of new fun it has been to be walking with my friends from church, Jim and Jerry. We're having dinner together, some prayer time, laughs, and unpacking life. We stayed at an uncharacteristically new and uncrowded albergue which had only bottom bunks and washrooms to be shared by only the five of us in the room. What a gift.

The morning was rainy and cloudy, but manageable. There were a few breath stealers, ascents of 150m followed by level walks followed by gradual descents. None of it was all that bad, but physically demanding. We were rewarded with another panorama of the Spanish countryside of mountains, forests, and the introduction of some autumnal color change of the Aspen trees iwith their butter-yellow leaves.

The rain and mist died away leaving just a slightly cool and cloudy day to enjoy a 20km walk. I write this at our albergue which is perched on a hilltop overlooking a river below and forested hills surrounding it. Such a gift the Camino offers in these small villages and countrysides. So blessed to be here.

I was also privileged to reflect upon a surprise encounter I had the day before. It has been fermenting reflectively in my prayer time now for a day. It occurred while we were walking through an almost enchanting forested part of the Camino. Chestnut trees are prolifically shedding their spiney, bristly, tennis ball sized nuts. The trail is a blanket of these unusual things. The trees from which they fall from are impressive as well. They're monstrous in size and have knarly, knots on the bark. I was told many are over 800 years old.

While weaving through this forest I came across a little table of fruits, a opportunity to get a stamp for my Camino credential, and handfuls of fresh chestnuts. I visited with the lady who ran the stand. Within moments of the start of the conversation I realized I was in the presence of someone of deep spirit and love. The lady's name was Ann. She was running this little stop to finance some of her pilgrimage. Considering that the stand was financed by donations only, she was pretty trusting.

With the help of a Brazilian lady I met weeks ago, I was able to get this amazing lady's full story. Ann has been on four Caminos, twice on el Camino de Santiago, once on Camino Norte which runs parallel to the northern coast of Spain, and once on Camino Portugese from southern Spain through Portugal to Santiago. She shared that she lives in Santiago. She became so excited sharing this news she ran up into the forest where she has a blue tarp strung up into a tent-like shelter to get her completed credentials. Here is where her story went from Wow impressive to jaw dropping awesome.

Ann accepted a calling to walk this fifth pilgrimage from Italy to Santiago solely for the intentions of Pope Francis. Her current pilgrimage will stretch 3200km, that's 2,000 miles! She shared of her dedication to Pope Francis because of his strong defense of the poor, his non judgmental love for all people, and the simple life he leads. It is well pubished of what the Pope's prayerful intentions are at any given time. Ann took his needs seriously. She accepted this calling as a way to pray and sacrifice for his ministry to the world. This helped to explain the posters she had displayed by her stand and the Pope Francis decorated donation box she leaves for pilgrims to offer their support.

She shared that she walks along with only her Alaskan husky companion until funds run low. The she sets up her stand, tent, and begins offering her simple fruit stand until her pilgrimage funds are strong enough for the next leg of her journey.

I've heard of the vow of poverty taken by some religious orders, but I have never met a person so dedicated in faith to live it as Ann is. There were no pleasant comforts living in a tent in a forest, little for warmth and clean clothes, meals were simple and skimpy, and with such limited funds there were very few options.

All these things considered, what beamed from her was a glow of peace and freedom. She was geneous in spirit and so undeniably joyful. She had a core of such a loving, genuine person. She was so generous with her supplies and bubbled with happiness at meeting pilgrims. However, nothing mattered outside of her mission to walk and pray for the intention of our pope. "Si, si. Papa Francisco," she would say as if to hug the words of love and admiration for him to her breast as she spoke of him.

In John 15 Jesus says, "No greater love is there than to lay down one's life for his friends."

Many interpret that expression to mean that we are called to physically die for others. I am more prone to interpret it to include the idea of surrendering my agenda, my life comforts and desires in favor of another. I see it as a call to live more sacrificial in nature and intentional in being loving to another.

Ann is one of these who has chosen to lay down her life in love and prayer for our pope. It amazed me and humbled me to encounter someone of her depth of love. But as I walked along, I reflected upon the this scripture and who else I have known or is currently laying down their life sacrificially.

There are many to whom I can affirm live this life. You know many as well. No, not necessarily of the caliber of Ann or the young man, David, I wrote about some time ago. Consider the pastors, priests, ministers, and those who live in religious orders, like my dear sister-in-law, Sr. Jean Amore who just celebrated 50 years of religious life . The more I reflected upon all of the sacrifice of their life for those they serve, the more embarrassed I became of the fact that I have taken their life sacrifices for granted. What burdens they embrace daily. What denial of family and life comforts they endure for the cause of faith. What a grind of pushing forward each week for us who are only looking for a quick one hour recharge on Sunday.

I will man up and admit that I infrequently make a deliberate act of gratitude for priests who serve our parish. How easy it has been to go to church on Sunday expecting church to just be about feeding me, my needs, my expectations on what a good church experience must or should be.

It was not a pretty picture of how I've overlooked the "Ann's" God has put in my life. God will certainly reward them in His way. I'm sure of this. However, I could be a better voice of love and support. This could/should/will include telling them that I pray for them, sending handwritten notes of appreciation, being a voice of what I call "good gossip." This would include sharing stories with others of good they are doing, have said, are providing as an example in faith. Their humility may not call for this, but my need to be more supportive can find a healthy balance.

I learned some time ago that the name, "Ann" means grace. So many very dear in my life have "laid down their life" for me. Can you call to mind some in your life? You might agree with me that each one has "Ann ed" us as my encounter 'Ann ed' our little Camino group.

I hope her lesson and holy example will grow me to be more dedicated in support for those who serve my spiritual growth.

Would you not agree, we've been "Ann ed" by so many? I humbly believe I have.

In gratitude,

Deacon Willie, DW

No comments:

Post a Comment