Wednesday, October 7, 2015

The Holy Spirit's Backdraft

7 October 2015

Rabanal del Camino

The Holy Spirit's Backdraft

We've had a few days of Spain's spotty Wifi with intermittent strength and service these past few days which has put my blogs out of calendar sync. We left some rainy days behind, gratefully, and the mountain climbs return. Legs, knees, and toes are managing and the steep climbs to this point have not punished me as harshly. Your prayers are helping.

I was eager to revist a simple, almost primitive, roadside rest stop just before entering the town of Astorga. I remember it fondly largely because of the man who runs it, David. When I stopped on my Camino 2013 pilgrimage, a film crew was involved in a three year production of a film documentary about David who runs the wayside stop. What makes him so captivating is that after he did his Camino, he chose to give his life to the care of pilgrims on The Way. David and his wife live right on the farm plot, raise the vegetables and fruit for pilgrims as they're pass on the Camino. He rings a bell as weary walkers approach, he runs out to them, throws his arm over their shoulder and greets them in their own language (he's taught himself multiple languages) and wholeheartedly invites them to find some nourishment. He asks, "Where are you from? How is your Camino? Are you ok?" All other- centered questions. While we were there David and his wife had just made their eveing meal, a salad. Both were strongly inviting pilgrims to share their meal. None accepted, but the offer was so generous considering how they live and where they live.

Chris and Sarah, an abundantly delightful Canadian couple, and I stopped for refreshments and the sharing of our Camino calling stories. David and his wife and the three of us took photos and we shared our thanks to them.

I chose to stay behind and have a conversation with David. I shared that I was there two years ago when the filming was done. He recalled all the filming activity but admitted that he had never heard or seen the film itself. I hope this happens for him someday. Afterall, it was done about him. All the time we are talking he put his hand on my shoulder, grips it in a kind gesture of friendship, and remains strongly attentive to me.

Minutes into the conversation, I can not hold the burning question any longer. "David, why do you do this? Why do you give your life to serve pilgrims like this?" There was a presence I felt in the next moments of this conversation that was like igniting a bonfire with gasoline. I cannot think of another experience in which to compare it. Here is how he responded.

David bowed his head humbly and muttered, "I don't know." Then he raised his head, gave me a sheepish smile and stared deep into my eyes. oh, he knew why. What first struck me was how sparkling blue his eyes were. He had those striking blue eyes of Jeffrey Hunter, the actor who played Jesus in the film. He put his hand on my shoulder again and gripped it strongly and affectionately.

His dazzingly blue eyes drilled right into my soul. At first I felt alarmed by how intensely kind the moment was. Then I detected an ever-so-simple grin begin off the corner of his mouth. I was still anticipating a fuller answer to my question, but no words were offered. He bowed his head and and nodded a couple times in almost a prayerful way.

I still felt a bit dumbfounded by the encounter because of how authentically humble David's spirit was. It was a somewhat emotional and reverent moment, yet there was a joy that floated throughout the experience as well.

When David raised his head and looked at me again, an inspiration came to me. I said, "David, we know why you live your life this way. It is Jesus living in you. I see Him in your eyes. I feel Him in your kindness and generosity, and Jesus love flows out of you." Then I laid my hand on his chest. I feel Jesus heart from your heart.

He reacted in a holy gesture of just bowing his head toward me submissively, reverently, acceptingly. I have no memory of ever encountering Holy Spirit's beauty and grace so powerfully. There was such love and humility moving like a gusty wind racing around us.

I was gifted by the Holy Spirit's backdraft. If the fruits of the spirit described in Galatians 5 had a fragrance they were present at that moment. I have had experiences of holy moments when I could claim that the Spirit's presence was felt. Many people have shared with me their experiences when they have encountered the Spirit's grace and pleasure.

What I share is something of a blend of three experiences that serve as word pictures as a means of inviting you into the feeling.

The purity of watching a baby sleeping

A kite catching a gust

A new mother's gaze upon her newborn

The encounter held these elements of peace, silent power, and joy. Blended together it was so precious and unforgetable.

The encounter with David ended with my offer to pray a blessing upon him. He humbly accepted, stepped closer to me, and bowed before me. I placed my hands over his head and prayed my heart out for him. If he was not convinced that his life service was directly the work of the Holy Spirit, he was noticeably touched by the Spirit at that moment. If I had oil to annoint him, it would have resembled that in scripture with David being annointed as a new king to follow Saul. Another David with sparkling blue eyes.

As I walked away I felt that my soul was a sail filled by the Spirit's wind. My heart was bouyed and joyful. So joyful, so overwhelmingly joyful. Yes, that was it. I walked along with my soul like a sailing ship filled with a strong Spirit wind.

I was being transported by the Holy Spirit's backdraft.

So where is the backdraft for all who are not on the Camino? Where can we find it? Catch the grace of its peace, silent power, and joy?

Here's what I suggest. Train the eyes to see and ears to hear the Spirit's movement in conversations with two different demographics: the elderly and young children. Seek the oldest and youngest you can find. Listen deeply, look deeply into their eyes as you listen, speak sparingly, and let your body language communicate God's love and affirmation. Let your eyes say, "You are understood and loved."

These are two age groups where a "real" conversation can take place. They both hunger for attention and love. They are most receptive to more and more love. Why? Because the Holy Spirit is a fire of wisdom and strength awaiting a person to uncork it.

You and I can be those who midwife a backdraft of the Holy Spirit's graces. There are "Davids" in your world and mine. We need only a will to enter in.

Yours, blown away in His backdraft,

Deacon Willie, DW

 

No comments:

Post a Comment