Friday, September 18, 2015

A Grateful "Being"


18 September 2015

Estella

A Grateful “Being”

This was a far easier day than most due to the gorgeous 70 degree weather, sunny skies, and somewhat simpler walking challenges. It was a hike 200m up, then 50m sheer drop down, then up 100m, then down then up 200m then a long descent down into the town of Estella. The day was much like a travel through the Ozark Mountains back home or relatable as a continuous series of Great America amusement rides. The scenery was interesting. We are entering the area of vineyards, fig and olive trees.  These are in great abundance right now. Tapas! (Spanish appetizers)

I walked a short distance with a lady from the San Francisco Bay area.  It was only a short time before I discovered that she is a member of the “club.”  That is, a parent who enter the small community of those who have lost a child.  I add, “No one is invited.” She shared, “I lost my first born son and only child 18 months ago.” As we walked on she shared the heartbreaking stories of her son’s last days of suffering from melanoma cancer.  He was 20 years old at death.  Much of the way we shared stories of the grieving process. We swapped stories of those whose compassion really was comforting and healing far after the event.

Somewhere during the conversation she made the comment we need to “be grateful.”  It first struck me as a strange message within grief sharing stories, but I fully understood the message. There is still so much for which to be grateful in life. Today I can say that I am grateful for the 28 years I had with my son.

Throughout the day, an entire litany of people and events rambled through my reflection regarding gratitude.  I have so many reasons for gratitude in my life.  It begins with God’s love and forgiveness, my sweet wife, my kids who make me so proud to be their dad, and my precious grandkids. The reflection brought to mind a long scroll of gratitude items. I won’t share these now, but I’d advise a consideration of your list. Who and what are you most grateful for? Really, give it some quality time. I found it to be a miraculous stress reliever.

After hours of contemplating all my gratitudes, what came to mind was a line in Luke 2. It was Mary’s response to the angel’s message. In some translations it reads, “My ‘being’ proclaims the greatness of the Lord.” It was the word “being” that arrested my thinking. Mary’s very being was humility and gratitude. I found these very fertile areas to contemplate. I kept rehearsing, a Grateful “Being”. How would that look in a person? How could I grow into one of those Grateful “Beings”? How could I allow my entire being to mirror gratitude.  I think I offer gratitude for acts of kindness and generosity to others, but is it developed as far as my entire “being”? Not so much.

So what would it look like to become a Grateful “Being” rather than just a human being? For me, it begins with expressing gratitude deliberately and abundantly.  It’s so easy to offer a simple, “Thanks,” for efforts done. I don’t believe I’ve done a good enough job of expressing a sincere enough expression of gratitude. I also recognized that I have been lax in sharing a follow–up note of thanks by note, email, or text. I know of some who have made the special effort to express their gratitude and how blessed I felt about those expressions. I can learn from their examples.

More important than these I recognize that I need an adjustment in my prayer time. How easy it is for me run a grocery list of prayer needs for others. That’s all good and needed. How lacking I have been in recalling all the answered prayers, the gratitude for kindnesses shown to me, and what I call “good gossip.” That is, sharing a good news story in my life of a kindness shown to me by another.

Simple, yes. But a way to growing beyond a human being into a Grateful “Being.”  It is an insight that I now long to embrace.  There was a moment on the Camino today when I passed through an ancient arch into a new city.  Today I walk into a new avenue of a better me, I pray.

I am one Grateful “Being” for all your love and prayers along this Camino. I pray God gives you a big hug and you might become aware that DW is praying for me. 

With you, immensely and gratefully made in His image,

A born again, Grateful “Being”

Deacon Willie, DW

 

1 comment:

  1. Love your post and photos today. I’d love to be there w/ you to buy to tapas and a cerveza !!!

    I loved your grateful “being” title. I was listening to Matt Maher’s song “Because He Lives” while I read your post [some lyrics are below].

    “Amen, Amen I’m alive, I’m alive Because He lives
    Amen, Amen. Let my song join the one that never ends. Because He lives.
    Because He lives I can face tomorrow. Because He lives Every fear is gone
    I know He holds my life my future in His hands
    Amen, Amen. I’m alive, I’m alive Because He lives
    Amen, Amen Let my song join the one that never ends”

    I think the song reflects the gratitude about which you wrote. Between reading your words and hearing the lyrics at the same time, God has imposed to me a gift, proving once again His greatness through you.

    Oro por ti todo el tiempo. Oro que Díos te da mucho amor y gozo cada día.

    Buen camino!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete