Thursday, September 17, 2015

Mountain of Forgiveness


17 September 2015

Puente la Reina

Mountain of Forgiveness

Today was a pleasant walk out of Pamplona. It was through the big city and out to the countryside.  It was there that the formidable Alto de Perdon faced pilgrims. It is a mountain with long, sweeping slopes to the top.  It is a hike of 400 meters, roughly the height of the Willis Tower in Chicago.  The ascent was long and gradual which made the climb long and painful.  The top was well worth the effort. It overlooks the countryside surrounding Pamplona and the broad farm lands.  Harvest had already happened so the farm plots formed a quilt of tawny shades of brown and green patches of pasture.  It was so pleasant to gaze upon.

Every step over countless golf-ball sized rocks was attention getting and strenuous.  That and the endlessly long switchbacks upward was physically exhausting.   However, it was the name of the mountain that worked tenaciously in my day’s reflection.  “A Mountain of Forgiveness,   A. . . .Mountain       of Forgiveness, A Mountain of . . . . Forgiveness.”  The Spanish name, Alto de Perdon, did not penetrate me as did the English translation.

This mountain’s name took me on a long reflection of my reconciliation habits of my sinful mistakes. The rocky ascent led me through a three hour examination of conscience. How thorough this opportunity was for me and what a contrast to my customary habits.  When reflecting on the events in life when I’ve fallen short of God’s loving and merciful ways, I recognized how briefly I engaged in the activity. I’m not suggesting a mountain climb hours long to become fully penitent, but I certainly could do with a longer effort.

A . . . Mountain. . . of Forgiveness. That was a felt experience for me also.  Over my life I have a mountain of reasons for God’s forgiveness.  Simple and often do sins of “thought, word, and deed” float in and out of my life.  Over 64 years there has been a mountain of examples all of which need His forgiveness. 

Forgiveness.  No other faith highlights the offer of life forgiveness.  No other offers the release of burden, shame, and guilt. None. It is almost counter intuitive that the way toward freedom and greater intimacy with God is through admitting error and offense.  It’s not about doing it all right. It’s about admitting what was done that fell short of God’s call for our life. What does this honest bring? “Amazing grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me.”

During my counseling and spiritual direction opportunities, I have discussed many life burdens people carry.  The expression, “Truth is stranger than fiction,” applies.  So many have shared incredibly heavy burdens come from sinful habits.  I cannot nor do I pretend to be a priest engaged in the sacrament of Reconciliation, let’s be clear about that.  But people trust and seek my counsel in the burdens they carry.  In every case I encourage a long and strong look at the truth of who they are and a fierce and moral inventory, advice I’ve heard in other sources. 

The people I find myself most drawn toward are those who have gotten “real” with who they really are and the gosh darn aweful truth of what they have done wrong.  I not only admire them for their courage, but I overwhelmingly enjoy the freedom they enjoy by accepting that they are flawed, yet wonderfully loved by God. They have buoyance, a freedom, and light spirit about them that is not often common with many people.

A Mountain of. . . Forgiveness.  The very notion that God would be that patient, so immensely loving that He could endure a Mountain of offenses.  Rare it is to find a person who is so freely forgiving of other’s offenses.  Petty inconveniences, left handed comments taken wrong, unmet expectations, not to mention deliberately hurtful events have a short line of patient forgiveness in most of us.  Yet God is eager to offer a MOUNTAIN of forgiveness-moment by moment, day by day, year upon year for each one of us. 

Why? It is because His love is the Mount Everest of heights.  Each step of my climb today allowed me to inch closer up toward that feeling of love and forgiveness.

The Truth set me free.  Embrace your truth, and feel the freedom it brings.

With love,

Deacon Willie, DW

No comments:

Post a Comment