Thursday, September 24, 2015

Double Blindsided by Grace


24 September 2015

Belorado

Double Blindsided by Grace

It was a pleasant walk through the countryside today.  Undulating hills and flatlands alongside of farm fields tilled to raw earth in preparation for a planting hibernation.  The earthy patchwork of fields even provided interest as it stretched far off toward the mountains.  Gratefully the sun stayed hidden in the clouds making most of the walk cool and so enjoyable.  Even my barking right knee endured without the anti-inflammatory help.  The blisters are still red hot and making each step rather gingerly taken.  I need rest considering that I’ve hiked about 170 miles thus far, roughly 30% of the pilgrimage.

I am well aware that the Camino is recognized in three distinct stages of experience.  I’ve read this and can claim it was true of my first Camino.  The first third is physical, the second third is emotional, and the final third is spiritual.  I am still coping with the physical aspect. It is all too logical that an emotional element occurs after so much strenuous and fatiguing stress to the body.  My little emotional challenge came over what you might call a stupid, little, water bottle.

When I was in Medjugorie I picked up a bottle of water with a Croatian name across it.  It fits perfectly in the side pocket of my hiking pants and has accompanied me to all the holy shrines.  Because it is written in the language of the land where our Lady appears, it held a novel endearment to me. Yep, a simple water bottle became a treasured reminder of my time there.

Sometime during a short rest stop in a local village today, I forgot it on a picnic table.  It was several kilometers before I realized where I must have left it.  Yep, it’s dumb and it’s only a plastic water bottle, but I had such high hopes of carrying it to Fatima with me to fill with holy water to bring back home. This meaningless water bottle was now gone.  I was both illogically disappointed in losing it and upset with myself for not being able to dismiss such a trivial thing. But things hit pilgrims is crazy ways on the Camino. 

I dismissed the loss and trudged on now during the heat of Spain’s bright sun.  An hour later and I had more reason to miss my water bottle.  I was growing painfully parched.  Another hour of steep climbs and descents and I was concerned about being dehydrated. 

I offered the sacrifice up in prayer. “Lord, that dumb water bottle is gone. I accept it. But I have no water and I’m hurting. Please help me.”  I continued on now painfully thirsty when a surprise arrived.  Unheard of on the Camino, a small minivan rode on the narrow walking trail. In it were two men who pulled up to me and handed me a new bottle of very cold water.  They were driving along looking for pilgrims to invite to their new albergue in the town ahead. I am convinced God heard my prayer and answered it in not only a timely way, but in a shocking way: a minivan on the Camino?! That’s not supposed to happen.

This blessing invigorated me and the thirst fears subsided. Ok, I won’t have my special water bottle to fill in Fatima, but I have a new story of grace to share. This gave me a new and grateful outlook.  As I continued I arrived at another little village.  As relief from the hot sun, I took another pause at a picnic table in the village square for a final breather before the last strong push before my final destination for the day.

While resting there a man from Canada saunters up.  He approached me with these words, “I saw that you left a water bottle back there and I picked it up. I have it here for you. I thought you might like to have it back. And I refilled it for you.” Imagine the chilling Godcidence realization that coursed through me!  I thanked the man abundantly and explained some of the history of places this plastic companion has had on my pilgrimage. Then even more surprisingly he extended his water bottle to me and said, “Drink from my bottle as a token of friendship.” The offer came in humility and sincerity. I drank and in an uncanny way I felt a power of the Holy Spirit in that simple gesture of kindness.

God chose to use a silly water bottle as a vehicle to double blindside me by His grace.

God can make old things new, and He graciously did that for me today.  I/We need only to be open to receive it in unimaginable ways.

“Like a deer that thirsts for running streams, so my soul yearns for you my Lord.”

Peace, love, and joy

Deacon Willie, DW

No comments:

Post a Comment