Sunday, September 27, 2015

Jesus' Playlist Favorites


27 September 2015

Hornillas del Camino

Jesus’ Playlist Favorites

I looked forward to an extra day of rest in Burgos to help with my howling knee pain. However, pilgrims cannot stay in the same albergue two nights in a row.  You store your pack and wait until noon and dash to a new line waiting to get registered.  Unfortunately, the nearby one was booked in minutes.  I was anxious and discouraged because this meant that I must follow a town map with so many streets on it that the map looked like a bowl of spaghetti, not a good match for me. In addition, my next nearest one was just under 2km outside of town.  Ugh!

I made request after request for directions using my hillbilly Spanish and arrived at might be the best albergue experience of my whole trip.  It was at a church that made the stay a communal experience of just 17 pilgrims.  We went to mass, made dinner together, shared in the cleanup, and had a group prayer service before bedtime. The young seminarian had us sit in a lounge area, light a candle, and played some reverent instrumental music as we sat in silence reflecting upon our day.  Then he had several of us read prayers, psalms, and spiritual poems in our own native tongue.  It was so moving. This was followed by an open sharing of the special insights we have received while on the Camino.  It was one “Godcidence” after another. I felt a sadness leaving there this morning.

The walk today was the start of the Camino’s famed Mesata, a high plateau of somewhat undulating flatland. Many don’t particularly like the Mesata, I especially do. I can walk without worry of sliding down a hillside of rock or the painful strain of a steep ascent. With a greater sense of safety, I so easily get lost in some imaginative head time.

Here is when my imagination drifted. If Jesus had an I Pod, what would be on his playlist? What might be His favorites?  It captivated my imagination. What might you imagine would be Jesus’ favorite songs?

Here are a few that I sang to Him in my Faith Walk today.

 

Eagle’s Wings

His Eye Is on the Sparrow, and I Know He’s Watching Me

You Raise Me Up

A Mighty Fortress Is Our God

How Great Thou Are

Amazing Grace

Ave Maria

Praise God from Whom All Blessings Flow

Gregorian Chants, any and all

Awesome God

Love Without End, Amen (couldn’t resist)

Sing Your Praise to the Lord

Holy God We Praise Thy Name

 

I could go on and on with this list, but it was entertaining considering music that would please Him.  Our earthly hymns attempt to give appropriate praise and express love for Him. The melody may lift us, but the lyrics move us to follow Him more nearly, serve Him more clearly, and love Him more dearly.

It was a simple yet captivating reflection today.  It was done with the utmost respect and love for our Savior. The list is inexhaustible, but in truth, entirely unnecessary. The Trinity is exhaulted by the heavenly hosts moment by moment high above the heavens.

That is a playlist I long to hear. It is there that I hope to raise my voice in love and praise of Him.

Fondly,

Deacon Willie

1 comment:

  1. Wow! So cool. I have so many I could add. What an amazing thing to think about!!!!

    ReplyDelete