Tuesday, September 22, 2015

From When to Then


22 September 2015

Azofra, just west of Najera

From “When” to “Then”

It’s a challenge of Wi-fi addicts on the Camino that there are villages with anemic signals. Such has been the case these past two days for me. I am still nursing a painful right knee and a brilliant red bulbous blister on the right toe, “This little piggy went home.” Both have some treatment and I’m managing. It was a first for me to leave Navarette before the sunrise. It was difficult walking in predawn light, but encouraging because it meant I was ahead of the hot afternoon sun. 

Forgive the old school teacher coming out of me today. What I share today is a long trail of personal reflection regarding two short lines in scripture.  It formed as a bit of a scripture contemplation focused upon 2 Corinthians 12:9-10. “I willing boast of my weaknesses that the power of Christ might be upon me. So I am content with weakness, insults, persecutions, distress, hardships, and troubles for the sake of Christ. For when I am weak it is then that I am strong.”

I began with a simple but difficult question. What are my weaknesses? So many came to mind but I made sense out of it by filtering my experiences through the 8 deadly sins. They are temptations born of being human. 

S              Sloth, how many times have I denied prayer time for my very important day’s schedule

L              Lust, it comes in many forms but it is also known as “Every man’s struggle.”

A             Anger, the psychology of which is a feeling come from loss. Loss of self-image, finances, prestige, power, position, near danger, etc.  How much energy have I wasted by imagined loss vs. real loss?

P             Pride. After all, it’s all about me. Right? Related as an 8th temptation-False Pride. That is a behavior represented in the gospel with the Pharisee’s comment in the temple, “Thank God I am not like this sinner. I tithe, pray” etc. A pride disguised in a holy outward appearance.

E              Envy, the unhealthy desire to be, look, have what another has.

G             Greed, the sin of more and more and more.

G             Gluttony, the sin of never being satisfied.

I learned the acronym, SLAPEGG, as an easy way to remember all of them.  The 8th one is attributed to St. Theresa of Avilla, I believe.  With a full breath of time to filter my life experiences through these 8 spiritually deadly human activities, I came to admit that they are present in my life. I came to recall how easily I get sidetracked into these tendencies.  Even wholesome pleasures can be exaggerated into something outside of the right proportions. Yes, even favorite foods or the treat that could bring about World Peace, a yummy bowl of ice cream, can be taken to extremes.  Any pleasure, gift, or good gift can be exaggerated into an unholy over attraction.  This I saw in myself today.

 But could I take the leap St. Paul suggests," I willingly ‘BOAST’ of my weaknesses. I/We boast of many good fortunes in life, in our successes, in our accomplishments, in those close to us who make us proud. But to boast of weaknesses? This does not come easily, nor naturally. When weakness is admitted for the sake of Christ, the admittance of it honors Him.  Otherwise, these 8 temptations are merely “the way things are, the way they always will be, they are the life-long plight of being human.”

Fighting them for the sake of Christ, makes them a battleground for growing in Him, in growing in His holiness, in falling more in love with Him. The battle is for the sake of Christ, indeed.

Then I came to the perplexing inspiration within the message: “So I am content with my weaknesses.” Really? Content with weaknesses? This almost sounds Un American. Yet it is what St. Paul is directing of us.  Nothing is more important than living in righteousness with a dependence of God’s love and mercy throughout every moment of life.  These troubling deadly 8 will plague us throughout the day. And we may fool ourselves as to believe that we are doomed to fall with each one. After all, “I’m just human.” True, be we can be and should strive to grow in holiness. Each temptation overcome brings a greater capacity for Christ’s presence to grow within us.

Just when I was putting this path to greater holiness in my thinking, the idea of a God bargain enlightened my thinking.  In the last line of this particular scripture has two phrases. The first part reads, “It is WHEN I am weak. So “when” am I weak? My examination of this within my life came with the answer, “Always.” I am always weak. I am always vulnerable for falling for these traps. The difference lies in me that I do not always admit my weakness to them.  I am weak only when I admit to God and call out to Him that I am weak. Outside of that, I move through my day confident, maybe over confident, in my independence.

And here is where the bargain presented itself. The last phrase in this scripture line reads, “It is ‘THEN’ that I am strong. Not God strong until I admit my weakness and dependence. Not God strong until I call upon His strength throughout my day. It is only then do I experience strength, His strength, living, loving, forgiving, wisely guiding my life.

This is our opportunity: To go from “WHEN” to “THEN.”  To go from humility to strength, human power to God power, from fear of being discovered for who I am to the power of knowing “whose” I am. All for the ‘sake of Christ.’

I’ll take the deal. How about you?

In His grip,

Deacon Willie, DW

 

No comments:

Post a Comment