Monday, April 15, 2013

Camino Beginnings


April 15, 2013

Buen Camino!

It all begins with Him.

In just a few short days I begin my pilgrimage on El Camino de Santiago de Compostela.  It is a walking pilgrimage from southern France, across the Pyrenees Mts. into Spain, then 500 miles to the Cathedral of St. James. My calling came on March 23, 2012, during a morning meditation prayer time.  It was such an overwhelming and consuming experience which privileged me with a glimpse of how much love He had in store for me.

I remember the event as deeply intimate and in such intense, HD quality. I held such a passion for Him that it erupted like a sunburst within me. It was so profound that I could only respond with the words in the beautiful hymn, "I say 'yes' my Lord."
 
The journey started with questions, none were of the "why" variety, but the "how" variety. How can I do this? Overweight, completely out of shape, age 62, so-so health, no dineros, no plan. How Lord?

One mighty whisper was breathed into me, "Have faith." That's all. "Have faith." The thunderous meaning in those two words conceived the camino-calling in me.

For a year now, I have been repeating those two words, "Have faith. Have faith. Have faith. This has opened a newer world in the words "the mystery of faith."

And those "how" questions? Answered convincingly.

Even today the camino still is somewhat clouded in mystery, just as so much of our everyday lives hold mystery. However, I've come to learn, deep within me, that faith penetrates the clouds of uncertainty to free us to live more and more in this confidence: He knows. He is merciful. He is faithful. And, He is caring for us as our Daddy.

Our response: "Have faith" shouts back doubt and fear. It confronts Satan's darkness. It surrenders us to God's perfect plans. (Maybe 500 mile pilgrimage plans) Our mantra: "Have faith," reveals a critical truth- God has been passionately faithful all along.
1John 4:19

Yes. It all begins with Him.


Carinosamente,
Deacon Willie (DW)


Upcoming:

April 19: depart for Paris

April 21: depart Paris for Lourdes

April 22: Lourdes to St. Jean Pied de Port

April 23: 1st day on Camino

6 comments:

  1. Dear Deacon Willie, your Camino faith story is a real miracle to me .It is obvious that the Holy Spirit has been with you since the beginning.Enjoy HIM fully every day of your beautiful walk and share HIM with us like you do. I thank God for giving me you as my spiritual pop. Love Angelo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deacon Willie, I just want you to know what a blessing you have been in my life since I've known you. I will be praying for the Lord to bless your every step, giving you peace, joy and answers. Mostly I will pray for all the pilgrims paths you cross as I know they will have been blessed by you and the wonderful spiritual gifts you posses.(As I Have) Love you Deacon, Mike D

    ReplyDelete
  3. My prayers are with you as the journey begins & I would like you to know there is one more angel guiding you. As I am typing this my whole family is currently in sunny San Francisco preparing today to celebrate the life of, physically let go of and accept that God has called my Aunt Deb to be with Him at the age of 67! We all love you, my friend & mentor & hope this pilgrimage is for you all you've hoped & more =) --Maggie (*looking for a banjo* ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Remember, oh most gracious Virgin Mary..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear Willie, know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. May the courage of St. Mark, whose Feast we celebrate today be with you always. Be safe. Peace in Christ, fr. Rich

    ReplyDelete
  6. DW-
    I'm loving all your posts- what beautiful photos!
    I keep you in my prayers for health and safety. Much joy and love to your every step!
    Díos te bendiga y Buen Camino!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete