Saturday, April 27, 2013

Puente la Reina

27 April 2013

Buen Camino

A Leap in Faith

We left Pamplona with 38 degree temps, a steady rain, and slight wind. As we climbed toward Mt Perdon, the rain turned to rain and sleet. The trail was heavy clay mud with the customary rocks and stones scattered in the mud- some submerged just below the surface, many just scattered on the surface. As we made the climb about 700 meters, the wind became punishing.  The message to ¨be vigilant¨was so very persent with each struggling step. A simple slip on a rock or mud slip of the foot and down we could go.

When we hit about 850 meters, we reaching a downslope where the trail washed away. The rain and sleet was coming hard and it was so very painful to work down the moutainside. There on a 30 degree slope the trail which was formidable.  There was an 8 ft.drop down where the trail was gone. The alternative was to take to the side of the trail where some old aster bushes and an old barbed wire fence were. Our feet were caked with clay and the rain made them so slippery. The asters were stiff stemmed shrubs with sharp thorns which snagged our clothes and poked at the skin. The view from on top of the trail stole our breath.

Eric, the tall Anglican bishop, took several long deep steps down. Each step was a good foot and half to two feet drop. The washed trail was to the right, the thorny bushes to my left. For the first time since my calling in March, last year, I was caught in fear.

¨Lord, I can not do this. My Dego legs are too short. The fall would be brutal- a hernia, roll down hill with my pack, tumble in the thorns, break a wrist or ankle. I truly was so terrified to make the next step.  With all the heart and soul that I could muster, I stepped off into the air with pole in one hand and stretched wide legged to the 2 ft drop below. The vegetation under foot would not hold me fully with all the mud and wet on my boots. I did a strong wobble with an upright pause. Amen. Then I had to take the next even deeper step down. Even more breath taking considering the impossibility of what it looked like from above.

It was nothing short of a ¨step of faith.¨ No common sense or safety thoughts were available. It was quite honestly a step into thin air to the next drop. Then another. Then another. Leaps of faith. Nothing but the sheer trust God would help me. And He did.

We proceeded another stretch back up another 50 meters or so to Mt Perdon, where there are iron figure of pilgrims on a magnificent view overlooking the hillside valleys. Magnificent!

After a short breather, we started the descent down the mt. Along the way, I was overcome with emotion as I recalled ¨the step.¨ Big baby that I am, I cried crocidile tears considering the terror that seized me and what it was like to really step off a cliff with only the hope of God´s care.

If I know everything and how to manage everything that confronts me, what do I need God for? Then I am playing God of my life. Life would be on my terms, my intelligence, my design.

I´ve been through really difficult moments in my life. Some of them were agonizing, but I knew that I´d somehow I´d get through them with God´s help.  This was far, far different. Taking a step in faith put my life into the catch of His strong hands. Jesus was my master acorbatic catcher. And He was oh, so powerfully present.

There´s my God moment. I invite you to share this ¨leap of faith¨ in some moment in your life challenge. Step out into thin air and feel His embrace as He catches you.

It´s soul exhilirating.

Upcoming:

Estella, 21 km and not a bad walk. More rain, and hopefully the wind and hail won´t come again. So painful and more challenging.

I feel every prayer with each step. Know that I pray for yáll.

God´s trapeze artist, my Carinos

Deacon Willie

3 comments:

  1. The Lord is faithful as He answers my prayers for you. I claim Psalm 121 all day long for you.
    Love,
    DaMayor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Peter stepping out of the boat, you respond to the Lord's "Come!" Please keep praying for us, as we keep praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DW - Your every faith filled step conveyed in your beautiful, spirit filled words serve as an inspiration to us and take us along the path closer to Jesus with you. Thank you for your persistence of faith, love, joy, and courage on your way! Christ is truly all around you.
    Love,
    Shawn
    p.s. I start MFP in August.

    ReplyDelete