Wednesday, May 15, 2013

15 May 2013

Astorga

Listen to the candle light

Buen Camino

I so enjoyed this walk. It was only 18km, which we planned to do as a 'rest'day. It had two breath-stealer climbs of about 100m, not bad. The scenery was to die for. We walked full into snowy mt peaks all day. Having that as a focal point is not all bad. Loved it.

No Christian music today. I committed to a full day of just listening. A special prayer commitment. It had such a rich reward. I'll share the reflection/meditation in a short bit.

Y'all might find it interesting to learn of a surprise I had. Along the way, there was a younger man, named David, who set up a simple stand with fruit juices, coffee, fruits, cereal, coffee. When you approached, he'd walk out, ring a noisy bell, embrace you, and then invite you to help yourself to any of all that he had displayed. He'd say, " Un regalo para ti." This is a gift for you. As I rested with a simple rice cake coated in peanut butter, haven't had pb for weeks and missed it, I met a few Americans seated along the barn where the stand was set.

It turns out that this was a film crew from Chicago, near Bucktown, who have been following David for the past 4 years. David has given his life for pilgrims. He lived in the barn behind his stand for several years, but ran out of money, so he lives outdoors and uses the little donations pilgrims offer to keep the supplies for weary pilgrims.

More than the refresher, David possessed a deep quality about him. He wanted to know, "Where are you from friend? Please eat. Sit. Rest." He had such a memorable, warm smile. He was one very touching dear soul pilgrims will remember because of a quality about him that touched you deeply.

While I eat my pb treat, the documentary team started to engage pilgrims. "So, why are you doing the camino?" they'd ask. Pilgrims around me were offering vague answers like "I don't know. I guess I'll find out sometime."

The videographer, photographer, and I started a fun conversation. Turns out the video gal lived in Wheaton as a kid. She went to Wheaton North HS and graduated in '83. Up until recently, she drove into Wheaton to see Dr. Chuck Showalter, John's brother, for dental work. Later I met the film producer who lives in Winfield, just 1/2 mile from us. Pure definition of Pisanos.

In a short time, they asked me if I'd do an interview for the documentary. It was this easy. "Tell us why you're doing the camino?" I gave my answer, which led to many other questions and filming. In short order, the producer and I talked further. I shared about my blog, and they were quite interested. They asked my email address to update me regarding the documentary. We'll see. God only knows.

Before leaving, I went to David to thank him. I said, "Su corazon is bonito. Dios te bendiga. Dios te bendiga, amigo." We gave each other a hug and shared a tear and warm smile. I was off.

Here I sit now in Astorga. A bigger city, but not nearly so offensive as the busier ones. There is a town square that has an old gov't building. Atop the building are Hansel and Gretel characters that swing heavy hammers at a bell-every hour on the hour. Everyone scurries to the square to video and watch the charming event.

As for today, the meditation God gave to me can best be described as listening to the candle light. This came to mind from an experience I had before the camino started.

Some may know that I squeezed a one day visit at Lourdes, France. This is the location where the Blessed Mother appeared to Bernadette and announced that she was the Immaculate Conception. The Grotto where she appeared is nothing more than a tall outcropping of solid stone. It is not like the stratified, layered rock we might see. These are large solid boulders.

A miraculous sign of her visit today, is a weeping of healing water through the boulders. I have a degree in physical geography/geology. Nothing makes sense as to how water could weep through these type of rock as it does.

I walked my way into the grotto and knelt there in a pool of the water. I begged the Blessed Mother to heal my aching, injured "I T" band, a tendon that runs up my leg and attaches on the outside of my knee. I needed PT for relief prior to the trip. Her healing has carried me thusfar.

I would sit there all day and pray. They would have mass in a featured language of the hour. Didn't have clue, but I knew the prayers. My favorite was a candle light service at the grotto. The weather was so pleasant and it was so deeply peaceful. I could go on and on.

The point. There was a memorial lane just off the grotto. I bought 6 large candles and went to light them and say prayers.

One for Big Mo- Bob Amore
One for Mary
One for my day, Ray
One for my mom, Mickey
One for Cheri, Bus and Cindy's little girl
One for Tony, our son

I lucked out with a new stand with few candles there. I light each one and sat back in my own private prayer time. I watched the candles for a long time. What I was intrigued by was how the candle light for each flickered and danced.

As I reflected on each person the candle represented, I just listened. Weird, there is nothing but silent prayer while you're at a prayer memorial. Everyone respects the silence. I watched the flame of each candle dance, but I listened because each candle brought to memory the language of each loved one.

While staring at Big Mo's, I could almost hear his all too familiar greeting, "Hey, Potlicker." Then I could vividly remember the way he rattled Planters peanuts from the jar in his palm while trying to position them to pop into his mouth.

While staring at Mary's candle, I could hear her all too familar greeting, "So what's new?" And "Oh, I'm fine." She had a characteristic way of looking intently into one's face while studying what was being shared. She genuinely wanted to follow. Listen carefully and one can hear her gentle "Oh my," comments she inserted during a conversation. Loved the way she folded her arm around herself as if giving herself a Bob hug.

While staring at Ray, my dad's candle, I swear I could hear him singing his favorite song, "You're nobody til somebody loves you." Listening to the candle and his whistling came back to life. My dad could whistle like a bird, and on tune. He and my mom were accomplished jitterbuggers. People would clear the dance floor to watch them. I watched them dance again.

While staring at Mickey, my mom's candle, I could hear her abundant laughter. My mom loved to laugh, and her laugh was contagious. Listening to her candle I could bring back her laugh til I could hear her say, "I just wet my pants. I was persistent at trying to get my ma laughing. It gave us all us all such pleasure. I could easily lead into many tender ways my mom generously gave to others.

While staring at Cheri's candle, the candle light danced these words, "the only hard part is the first step." Cheri fought cancer for most of 14 years and has her fingerprints on many hearts. One outrageously fun thought was at a family gathering. She had a wig of long curls that Bus brought for her to wear. She had a hat on and was prepared to wear it. We were standing with them. Bus, in his clowning nature, took the wig and wore it. Cheri patiently waited while he entertained all of us. Cheri just shook her head as if to say, "That's just my crazy dad."

While staring at Tony's candle, I listened for so many conversations that I was starved to hear again. Only one, overly used comment of his kept surfacing. It was, "most definitely." He'd punctuate conversations, discussions, advice with those two words. Never know why, but it was his signature comment. One memory echoed. It was the night he took me out for movie and a beer. We lingered for a long while. Upon arriving home, it turned out he was responsible for keeping me out until the designated time for the surprise birthday party for me in the home. There is a picture of us just after I entered the door with him. He looked so proud to have had the lead in my surprise party.

This imagery was the beautiful reflection given to me today. It came as a surprise and a gift. We have memorial candles at home given at All Souls Day services. I've been with family who will light a candle in memorial of a loved one. Never had this been a notion, until today.

Try this on the birthday or anniversary of a loved one's death. Light the candle, look, and just listen. Yep, weird, but it surprised me what listening to the candle light of a memorial candle can evoke within us. The candle's light dances, gives off light and warmth, and is a wonderful sacramental of Christ's presence. It can illuminate a loved one's presence over again.

You'll want to give yourself some quiet, private, comfortable space to enjoy your reflection. Praying in front of candle light is rewarding too. The experience at the Grotto was penetrating for me. I plan to make it more of my prayer practice.

That's my encouragement to you today.

Listen to the light. Listen and embrace the gifts God has just for you.

Carinosamente,

Deacon Willie



2 comments:

  1. DW, I hope you never get tiered of me saying thank you, but again your simple clarity is so spiritually uplifting to me its like you're talking directly to me! Thank you and please write a book there are a lot of wonderful prayer techniques you are gracing us all with! Heavenly Father send your Holy Angels to walk with DW Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Bill, my first thought after I read this last post was Thank You. The insight and the love that is saturated within was almost tangible. Thank you so much for your insights and loving prayers, they are dearly needed. May God continue to bless you as you walk!!

    ReplyDelete