Wednesday, May 22, 2013

22 May 2013

Ferreiros, 98km from Santiago

Watch Me!

For all who have said prayers for me, I am deeply grateful. There's a story as to how I think my foot injury developed, but I have made some adjustments and am using an anti inflammatory prescription and am managing. I made it 27km today on some steep climbs and long rolling hills. It took us 8hrs to get here, and it was the last place available with any open beds. Many new pilgrims are dropping in on spots along the camino to walk the last 100km, the minimal requirement to officially get a Compostela certificate.

My toe was manageable, due in fact to so many prayers. I am so grateful to God because this might qualify as my favorite walking day on the camino. We are the province of Galacia. It resembles a northern Wisconsin backroad or something one might see in the Ozarks. A stiff 100m long climb followed by rolling to flat trail through heavy forest and streams. We had to walk through some mountain streams along the way, pass by little waterfalls, travel along a paths that had ancient stone walls covered in moss and viney flowery plants. It was paradise for me.

What was also stimulating was the reflection God put upon me. The beginning of which was when I was a little boy trying to climb the ladder take a ride down a park district slide. The whole scene unfolded in such precious detail.

On one of my first attempts, I recalled grabbing the galvanized steel handrail, polished by 5yr old daredevils before me, and taking each painstaking step up what seemed like a 500ft climb. I reach the top and become frozen with how I'd ever get my foot up on the slide and still find a way to sit. There I would be, frozen in fear, and searching in desperation for a parent to save me. Of course, I was too paralyzed to descend, and the braver kids below me would never think to walk back down to give me room to step back to ground level. There my dad had to climb over kids to the very top in order for me to leap a death-grip around his neck while he carried me down.

Some time later and braver, I attempted the climb and slide again. This time I had the courage of a 6 year old. Eyes bugged, grit determination on my face, and sheer will power to I make it to the top of the tower ( top of the slide). Something inside of me caused me to sit at the top, search out my parents and shout out, "Watch me!" My mom and dad would look, give an encouraging wave, and I would make the plunge. This was followed with all the glowing smiles of my parents and "atta boys" that made it clear that they were so proud of me. My effort gave them pleasure.

I got to relive these same proud moments with each of my kids. Their first heroic climb to the top, some needing a rescue, and eventually the brave, solo climb to the top of the ladder, a shout out, "Watch me!" followed by the sheer joy on their face when it was accomplished.

My reflection today led me to consider how our Daddy in heaven is that interested in our every dare-devil ride in life. I believe He is just as attentive to us as we take to the stairs of some adventure we climb into during our life. He is there to rescue us when the fear grips us. He is there for the time when we shout out, "Watch me!"

My reflection led to recall some scary climbs in my life. Times I stretched my abilities and skills to do more during my career. Times I was at the top of the ladder trying to do the parent thing right/better. Times I over committed to some project. Times I bit off too much for some grand goal.

All during these times our Dad in heaven was watching. Sadly, I don't think I gave Him a thought. After all, this was my climb. Watch if you want, Lord, but this is my adventure,thankyouverymuch. I felt shame about how I excluded Him.

Because we believe that "God is all knowing, all seeing, all powerful," we also can accept that He was present for all these life climbs to the top of the slide regardless of whether I included Him in my adventure.

He saw them all. And like a parent, He witnessed them with the same joy we parents do/did by witnessing a child's joy on a slide adventure. He is every bit the same proud Daddy watching one of His kids. He created us for His pleasure to enjoy life with Him.

In any one of those climbs to the top of the slide, all I/we need to do is shout out, "Watch me!" Imagine Him watch with the pride and love of a parent. How He runs to rescue me/us when we're gripped with fear. How much pleasure, no honor, it would give Him to have one of His kids shouting out for Him. Yes, our Abba, finds pleasure when we beg for His attention and watchfulness.

"Watch me!" I reflected upon this all day today. How much pleasure it gave me to call upon Him as my Daddy to watch my every step. I loved the image of days ahead when a new climb will be before me again. How I can still be that little kid gripping the well worn rail, take the shaky step upon step higher and higher, and know that before the plunge, I can call to Him, "Watch me!"

And He will- with great delight. We are His dearly beloved kids. His eye is always on us.

Isn't that what Matthew 6:26 is about?" His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He's watching me."

Why? Because He loves us so much that He can't take His eyes off of us. That's so easy to relate to. Especially when my kids were little and first home. I couldn't take my eyes off of them. That is so true for my grandkids. My love for them is immense. I can fill a day just staring at them and relishing in who they are.

Our Daddy in heaven is every bit that crazy about us.

Put a smile on God's face. On your next life climb, call out to Him, "Watch me!" Feel His smile upon you.

And when you get too scared, Hear Him call out to you, "Watch me!" my beloved.

Watching is a joy-filled, two way view.

Upcoming:
We're 98km from Santiago.
More climbs and beautiful patchwork farms on the Galacia hillsides.

Carinosamente,

Deacon Willie





No comments:

Post a Comment