Friday, May 24, 2013

24 May 2013

Melinde, 50km from Santiago

With gentle hands

Another stunning spring day walk. It is about 66 degrees, sunny, and so pleasant. We took to the camino like speed walkers today. The terrain was fairly level with only two breath-stealers. I can't express how enjoyable it is to walk through these forests on the semi level, hard-packed mud trails. No fears of slipping on loose rock or loosing your footing and twisting an ankle or worse.

I included some pictures that include a sample of what we walked through. This is the last province before Santiago, called La Coruna. Being this close causes each footstep to spring with anticipation. Everyone is eager with enthusiasm as a kid on Christmas Eve for what is so very near. I admit I feel it too.

We should arrive in Santiago on Sunday at this pace. The question is whether we make it to the pilgrims mass in time for the famous swinging of the thuriber from the cathedral rafters.

For those who have seen the movie, The Way, and are familiar with this Catholic ritual in liturgy at a church but in smaller scale, it would be an understatement to call the thuriber, a large incensor, at Santiago anything but impressive. I'm guessing it measures about 4ft in diameter, the incense is shoveled upon hot coals, and about 4-5 men yank it to the rafters using heavy rope in such a way that it swings, gains momentum, and then swings overhead about 50ft in the air from one end of the cathedral to the other, a distance of 'about' 100 ft.. This swinging allows the burning incense to fill the church as it swings like a trapese artist from one end of the cathedral to other.

If we make it to the cathedral by noon, I'll get to see it in action that day. If not, I will definitely see it the following Sunday. It's all in God's good timing.

God gave me a wonderful reflection today centered on generous people. My prayer time was captivated by powerfully spiritual people whose vibrant characteristic is their generosity.

It was a proud recollection to recall the most generous person I've ever known, Mickey Williams, my ma. Those who were blessed to ever know her would testify to her humble, love-of-life, and generous-beyond-belief nature. She ran a carpet store for some 25 years. I'd seen her books, she made so very little income from the store, but as she said, " I love being with the people." It's no wonder. By the time her health was so deteriorated, and we had to close the store, it turned out that she was giving the stuff away. On all too many occasions I would hear her during a sale tell a young mom and dad who desperately needed carpet, "I know what it's like, honey. We had to scratch every penny to raise our kids. When you get your paycheck at the first of the month, think of me and give me $10 or so. You pay me when you can. I know how it is, Hon." Of course, interest free and not recorded.

So many rarely kept up. But she was ok with that. She'd say, "Anyway, I'm helping God's people with the carpet." Her cherished St. Barbara's Church received multiple donations of carpet over the years. "I could never take money from the church, she insisted. " That's like stealing from God!"

So many jaw-dropping, charitable, and generous people have their fingerprints on my life. So many I have witnessed give so sacrificially to others with great pleasure. Yes, they have light and cheerful hearts about sharing what God has put in their life. And they do so with sterling humility. I have been included in some intimate discussions where one of these generous souls have asked me to be the intermediary in passing on a $100 or so as a gift to someone who is financially drained.

Through the privilege of my ministry, I am invited into what is called the "thin" places of their life. The country song comes to mind, "Oh Lord, I Need a Miracle." You might recall a time when you've had your back against the wall, and all that's there is a desperate prayer. God only knows. In some privileged moments in ministry, God has used me to transfer a blessing from a generous soul to someone "who really needs help." They'd say, " I know you know someone, use this $ to help them. But don't use my name."

That's another precious quality of generous people, in addition to being so joyful, they glow with humility. Who they help is not important. How the resource will be used is no concern. There is no reservation or condition to their giving. They give because it's not theirs to begin with. It's God's gift temporarily in their stewardship. They are free of the burden of possession. Free of the need to justify a gift. They have an enviable quality of owning nothing, but owning everything: Their Father's Love.

St. Theresa, I believe, said, "I hold the gifts God provides with 'gentle hands,' because if He should decide to remove them, it hurts so to pry them from my fingers." Not sure if I quoted it exactly, but it's close.

I held that image today in my reflection. How it is with the countless numbers of generous people who've graced my life, who hold their possessions with 'gentle hands.' Some of whom have given support for this pilgrimage. It is these dear friends who triggered so much prayer time for me today in gratitude.

There is a prayer posture that accompanies this kind of surrender of one's gifts in their life. I have a stretch of the memory, but I believe it is called Mary's "absolum." I wish I could study it further to confirm the spelling, but the prayer posture depicted by artists is dead on.

It is said that when Mary was visited by the angel to receive the news that she was to be the mother of our Lord, she fell to her knees, gently raised her head to heaven, held her palms out just in front of her, to give her self to God's call. She was giving her whole self to God. I hope you might be able to picture this. It is a beautiful imagery for me of complete surrender.

That same image is what I suggest is the life stance of genuinely generous people. They hold what gifts God has put before them with palms outstretched and with 'gentle hands.'

It was a good challenge for me today also. What am I holding with clenched fists? What do I hold with 'gentle hands?' What conditions do I place on gifts I consider sharing? Who are the generous ones who surround me to whom I might find inspiration?

And if you're up for a challenge, try a private moment in the posture of the absolum prayer stance. You might even say the words to the Beatles'song, "Mother Mary come to me. Speaking words of wisdom. Let it be."

Upcoming:
Santa Irene, 30km away

Carinosamente,

Deacon Willie




No comments:

Post a Comment