Sunday, May 19, 2013

19 May 2013
Pentecost Sunday

Ruitelan, east of O'Cebiero
a 700 m steep climb tomorrow

Power of Paradox

Buen Camino

God is good, so good. Today the rain held off, and we walked along asphalt and cinder pilgrims' paths with a highway on one side, the delightful sound of a raging stream on the other, and tall, green mts that dropped steeply alongside. What a perfect day for safe walking, getting immersed in my Christian music, and the wonderful reflection God gave me today. Jesus' poor ears listening to me chatter away all day.

A special line in my favorite song, "God's Own Fool", is this: "And the power of paradox opens your eyes, and blinds those who say they can see."

Our Christian faith is filled with paradox. It's a topic not discussed often. Jesus was both man and God-paradox. There are three Gods in one-paradox. Jesus died and rose again-paradox. Mary was a virgin and yet mother of Jesus-paradox.

We don't particularly contemplate the idea of paradox for as the good bishop said, "We like water-tight answers." God's truths can take us so far until the paradox of faith must be the bridge to take us further on the journey of faith. Paradox keeps us dependent and hungry to learn more about God.

Then, there are the paradoxes contained in the gospels. "To gain one's life you must lose it; you must have faith the size of a mustard seed; the blind see; be born again; rise from the dead; faith can move a mountain;
All are paradoxes, that is, challenges to live beyond a simple faith into a greater faith.

Perhaps it is the fact that it's Pentecost Sunday or just the invitation God placed in my heart for the person to whom I dedicated this day in prayer. Her life of obedience to faith many would call a paradox.

It was God's pleasure and my joy to pray for my sister-in-law, Sr. Jean Amore, all day.

A little history: I met Sr. Jean at the Amore's home when I went for a visit to spend time with my honey before we were married some 40+ years ago. I vividly recall the "Wow" factor to meeting a sister in someone's family. I went to St. Barbara's School where the good sisters taught us. But, to be at a home where a sister was raised really "Wowed" me. Also impressive was that her mother and father addressed her as "Sister." This set her with distinction and respect I'd not heard in a family before.

Through the years, Sr. Jean has a highly regarded place of honor in the Amore family. Rightfully so.

Today's reflection of her elicited a paradox of sorts. When someone hears that you have a "sister" in the family, they take notice. I'm guessing that if you were to ask them about their thoughts, they'd likely say, "I could never do that. or It's takes someone really special to give their entire life to God. Everything. Not me. Not anyone in my family." Them trying to figure it out would be, well, a paradox.

The precious gift of Sr. Jean as a sister-in-law has lifted some of the mystery of 'sisterhood' to recognize her for the pure beauty she is. She was, in fact, only one of 6 people to whom I shared details of the intimate spiritual encounter that called me to the camino. I'll never forget how enriching it was to have her spiritual connection.

The more I dwelt in my day of reflection for Sr. Jean, I was brought to see so many of her beautiful qualities. These included her deep well of peace within, the edifying way in which she listened-wisely and compassionately, the conviction of her faith, and the unmistakable joy she displays around family.

We walked about 27km today. All the way, God kept flipping a picture chart of memories of Sr.Jean. Today is Pentecost Sunday. The day the apostles had tongues of fire descended upon them. A day they could speak in different tongues. We need the spirit to teach us how to speak in many languages of Jesus' love. The world is hungry, no starved, for His message.

Speaking is one thing. Acting is another. Giving your life is a far greater thing. This is what Sr. Jean has done, as well as other religious who have given their life for the faith. They've given it all. Their own family, spousal companionship, and children in place of a vow of poverty, chastity, and obedience. All are paradoxes for us outside of this kind of faith commitment. Their life choice is planted firmly in a power of paradox, not to be overlooked or taken for granted.

God displayed the beauty of the dear ones who live the power of paradox. They are lighthouses of faith for us.
My Sr. Jean, is a treasure for me, recalled today on this Pentecost Sunday.

It comes to mind that Sr. Jean's meek and humble nature might find all this gush about her uncomfortable. She may be blushing and shouting, "Stop already."

Be blessed today, Sr. Jean. God's day of reflection of your life today blessed me. I send love from the camino to you and the other sisters today.

I pray that your example of faith and that of all religious, will awaken the power of paradox within all of us to be more selfless as one who is first called to serve, rather than to be served.

Upcoming:
O'Cebiero and its infamous steep climb700 m
FYI, we've walked over 600 km thus far; about 165km until Santiago

Note: a correction. The climb up Cruz de Ferro was NOT 1000m, but 700m. Wrong info that has bugged me to correct. It still felt like climbing Everest.

Blessed Pentecost

Carinosamente,

Deacon Willie

No comments:

Post a Comment