Tuesday, May 21, 2013

21 May 2013

Samos, 13km east of Sarria

Conversatio Morum
Constant/continuing conversion

Buen Camino

We walked from the mts today and after some 10km we finally dropped below the snow line and the clouds were then above us. It was a breath-taking view. I so loved all of today's walk.

Once we descended from the mts, we chose the long route to Samos, the location of the oldest, largest monastery in the western world. The walk required an additional 6km and additional 720m in ascending along the way, but it was through gorgeous green forests and along a pleasantly noisy babbling stream. It was like music for the walk.

Entering Samos was quite an experience. The monastery is huge. It was built in the 6th century and parts added on over the next 300years or so. This monastery has a reputation for the monks singing in Gregorian chant. We went to vespers, evening prayer, and enjoyed the monks singing. It was so reverent, though completely unrecognizable. Nonetheless, I so enjoyed the prayer time in a place that has such rich history of deeply devout believers.

Eric and I were talking, and he pointed out some of the history of St. Benedict, who was one the church's great reformers.

He shared with me that Benedict was most known for Conversatio Morum, that is a life of constant, continual conversion.

As I contemplated this, it felt like good news for the faith life. That is, it is filled with hope for a future that will have even further conversion into more of what Christ will develop in the faith I/we currently have. It means that the joy that I/we experienced from our initial conversion, will be made fresh.

I really appreciated that truth. When I revisit the memory of when my faith life ignited, it gives me great joy because it means that there are booster rockets in future conversion experiences.. I recall how in love with Jesus I felt. How I saw Him in everyone and everything. How alive the scriptures were in me.

The joy is that Jesus is never done with me/us. He draws us deeper and deeper into the mystery of His great love, His great mercy, His great power. All of those initial experiences of faith are integral in a constant/continual conversion.

These joys never grow stagnate. I/we worship a God who keeps making all things new. No other faith has that dimension. Other faiths are rooted in messages of the past. Our faith embodies being born again, and again, and again.

Constant, continual conversion.

Short blog today, Carinos. The tour of the monastery, vespers, and late dinner has tightened my time.

Please pray for me. I have had a nagging pain in my foot over the past days grow full force pain today. On my left foot, my one toe has gotten so swollen that it's nearly doubled in size. It's the toe that "didn't have roast beef." By this evening it has become difficult to walk without a limp. Not good for the hilly country that is increasing each day as we head into Santiago.

Upcoming:
through Sarria, 122 km from Santiago

Carinosamente,

Deacon Willie







1 comment:

  1. Dear Heavenly Father, watch over DW and his family, friends and all those who he crosses paths with today and days to come. In Christ & Love > bill & sue
    JN 3:30 He must increase, I must decrease.

    ReplyDelete