Monday, May 6, 2013

6 May 2013

Tardajos, east of Hornillos

Fortitude

Buen Camino,

Yesterday I awoke to a full blown sinus infection. There was no way I could have taken on the steep climbs and descents. I joined other pilgrims who took the bus into Burgos, a large industrial city. The centerpiece to the city was the gothic cathedral. It was my first rest day, and I enjoyed taking the tour of all of the altars dedicated to the saints. Some of them had been created in 1496, just after Columbus sailed. They were magnificently detailed works of art.

Many of past pilgrims I thought I lost days ago arrived to my surprise. It was a great reunion.

The next day I had just enough recovery to be able to breathe and tame some of the coughing up junk. I met with the good bishop and Joyce by mid day to do this simple 10k walk.

Along the way, Bishop Pike, aka Eric, and I discussed the legend of a city we visited many days ago- Santa Domingo de la Calzada. There is a beautiful legend credited to this place.

Sometime around 1100, a German family was on pilgrimage to Santiago. They had their young teen son on the journey. They decided to stop at an inn along the way when the owner's daughter took a strong liking to the son. She wanted a romantic relation with the son. He was dedicated to his pilgrimage and discouraged her. This angered the girl who chose to smuggle a silver cup into his belongings as a revenge. She reported him and, as was the law, any pilgrim caught stealing was to be hanged. The parents' pleas were useless. The boy was hanged.

The parents, though saddened, continued the pilgrimage all the way to Santiago. There, they had a vision that convinced them that their son was still alive. Some versions of the legend are that Santiago was kneeling beneath the boy holding his feet up to prevent the strangulation.

The parents walked back to the inn to discover, in fact, that the son was alive. They ran to the local mayor and pleaded that they be permitted to cut their son down from the gallows. The mayor was having dinner with his family. His reply, "Your son is as dead as these two cooked chickens." At that, the chickens grew feathers and wings and beak and flew off.

To this day, statues of Santo Domingo are with chickens. The church of his name has s small coup to the rear of the church and the roosters crow like crazy within the church. (That's all true, saw it myself.)

I realize there might well be some who dismiss this as yet another fun legend. What became the discussion and reflection I enjoyed today is much deeper.

For one, God still calls us on journeys of faith, just like this family. Along our journeys, there are those who will tempt us to be unfaithful. To abandon the journey. In fact, the temptations are great and so pleasurable. Even being faithful and resisting temptation does not guarantee a reward of a trouble-free life.

Nonetheless, God does still intervene in our life with loving messengers of care and protection. Miraculous things still do happen.

What I took out of the story is the importance of fortitude for the journey. That is, to be strong while following what God has called for me to do. Right now, it is to be strong for this last half of the camino. Pilgrims are dropping out and some too injured and pained to continue. Some have no more endurance for the inconveniences and long roads ahead.

So it is with us too. I have counseled and been spiritual director for many who often say, " I'm not sure this is what God wants me to do. or I'm not enjoying 'this' and I know God wants me to be happy, so He must be calling me to something else. Some lose strength and talk as if he/she deserves a diversion./an indulgence into some shady pleasure because they've worked SO hard, SO long that they deserve ' a little sinful pleasure once in a while.'

Diversion, yes, sinful indulgence- wow!

We need fortitude to continue the course we're on. After all, many believe that it was God who started them on it. When the journey is difficult and sacrificial, it is us who are trying to rewrite the journey's trail. Probably not God at all.

And not only the activities on the trail, but more importantly who they're journeying with. Some, no all too many, have raised the banner of their self happiness to include dumping their covenant relationships. The wake of agony of this causes me such deep grief. My love for me sweetheart is so precious I could never be the source of such torment. Besides, she would hunt me down like Sacajewa with a GPS.

Friends, the call for fortitude was strong for me today.
Stay the course.

Romans 5:1-10?ish articulates it well.

Upcoming:
Good walk toward Hornillas.

Carinosamente,

Deacon Willie

3 comments:

  1. D-Dubs! Hi!

    I hope all is well with you and your journey! By the way, I finished the poem/HELP Letter yesterday that I mentioned I would write before you left. It is a God-incidence that I should finish writing it yesterday, and look at the blog for the first time and you write about fortitude for the journey. To play off of U2, "(God Works) in Mysterious Ways"! "Strength for the Journey" by John Michael Poirier. I'll leave you to see the God-incidence!

    The poem is rather long. Sorry about that :)

    God Bless You Deacon Willie now and forever!


    The Journey

    Life is a journey on a path or a road
    And bearing the weight of our sin’s heavy load,
    Long days and even longer nights
    So many miles and no end in sight.
    “Failure” “Give up” my sins seem to call:
    I stumble and collapse from the weight of it all.
    The darkness creeps in and silence is deafening;
    Lying there cold and alone; fearing God’s reckoning.

    At the bottom of the pit I hear someone say,
    “Come follow me and I’ll show you the way.
    I’ve been here before and I’ve learned the way out”,
    He said “Son, pray with me. It works, do not doubt”.
    So we sat and we talked, we laughed and we cried,
    We prayed for a while, I felt better inside.

    A feeling swept over, brought me down to my knees
    And slowly I felt a soft quiet breeze.
    Strong gentle hands on my shoulders with love;
    Warming, glowing, like the sun high above.
    Resting his hands there another moment he said,
    “Rejoice! You are alive; no longer dead!
    Rise to your feet, go now; be strong
    And remember what you have learned from this day on”.

    In a flash of white light the man did depart
    Remembering his words, I held them close to my heart.
    I whispered a “Thank You” and walked along,
    And singing to myself a happy-like song
    Smooth was the journey for a time: so fine;
    The peace and ease was simply divine.

    Yet what should I now come across
    But open water too deep and far too safely cross.
    A small boat I found harbored on the rocky coast
    This thing that I would need the most!

    Miles at sea; moving slow and lazy
    Hours of nothing; the air grows hazy
    Lids are heavy, body is stone;
    Taken by sleep, it’s will against my own.
    I awake to see the night: purest black,
    Lightning blinds and thunder CRACK,
    The water roils and the wind loudly screams;
    Pinching myself: this is no dream!
    The boat pitches madly, I am thrown into the ocean
    My screams are drowned and futile are my motions.
    My eyes are getting dim, the world fading fast
    “Is this it? Is this the end at last?”

    Something grabs me: strong and steady,
    Pulling me to safety when things got heady;
    The storm raged on all around
    They hold me close till I settle down.

    “Why do you tremble? Why do you fear?
    Take heart! Have faith! I am always here.
    All this is mine and under my command.
    I will keep you safe, but you must also understand:
    Sometimes, the storms, I will call to cease,
    And, at times, it is you I will calm and give you peace”.

    Through the fog a lighthouse beacon shone bright,
    Guiding me to safety out of the darkest night;
    The light of love, of hope, and prayer:
    Although ever-present, I’m not always aware-
    Of the countless faithful people who have walked the path You trod:
    And who now everyday help me in MY walk with GOD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faith, Hope, and Love.*
    1Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace* with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,a
    2through whom we have gained access [by faith] to this grace in which we stand, and we boast in hope of the glory of God.b
    3Not only that, but we even boast of our afflictions, knowing that affliction produces endurance,
    4and endurance, proven character, and proven character, hope,c
    5and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out into our hearts through the holy Spirit that has been given to us.d

    ReplyDelete