Wednesday, May 1, 2013


1 May 2013

Buen Camino

Temperance

Ventosa, just east of Najera

After yesterday's walk in cold rain, sleet and stiff headwind, we finally arrived in Logorno. It was a longer walk and we arrived at the albergue (Al berg) to find that we were competing for one of the last 7 beds. It meant standing in line for an additional hour with aching feet and heavy paks. The place was PACKED with pilgrims. We were sandwiched in a room of 28 to share 2 shower stalls and two toilets with 56.

That many people stuffed in for sleep was intense. We were all drowned rats and desperate for sleep. There was so precious little space between bunks and climbing room to a top bunk. Yea, old guy in the top bunk that nite.

With that many in close quarters, the odds played out. One guy with a deep snore with a variety of rhythms and volumes. That fact and my being overstimulated by all that God keeps rolling thru my mind, I didn't sleep but about 1-2 hours.

It was topic of robust conversation and jokes by the other 27 first thing in the morning. That's when I was reminded of some wise advice from my dear friend, Deacon Marty Hetzel, from SJN church. We would meet to pray the Office and share ministry insights. When the opportunity for "piling on" when something is easy to complain about, he shared that it is better to avoid the thought all together. Don't let it in your thinking. Keep pushing it out. Yes, don't allow it to entertain or keep playing like a bump on a cd song.

Exercise temperance. That is, be stronger self disciplined or what we'd call resisting temptation.

The snorer and all the drain it put on this new day without sleep could have stolen my joy. It could have replayed over and over again for what it cost me to be more physically diminished for the new day. It could have released me to take a wiffle ball bat to this guy. (Not sure that I could have stopped the other 27.)

I had the choice. Today I chose temperance and what a difference it has made in this day of gently rolling trails with a such a pleasant prayer-filled day.

How easy it is to join in when injustice or sacrifice is involved. How easy it is to shout out or dwell on it and whine with other sufferers.

A wonderful friend onced told me, " Why do you let him/her take up so much room in your head? They're not even paying rent."

More love, more strength, more PEACE, was won for me today by the exercise of "temperance."

Today is May 1 and I spent the day singing this song:
"Hail Holy Queen enthroned above
Oh, Ma ri a
Triumph all you cheribim
Sing with all the seraphim
Salve, salve, salve regina."

I feel your prayers. Really. Each step is blessed. All 186km of them so far.

Carinosamente,
Deacon Willie

3 comments:

  1. I love your posts. Keep it going. I also am overjoyed with all of the insight and prayerful guidance you are giving all of us who read your posts. We truly are walking with you, we don't get the pleasure of the pain ;), but we get the benefit of the strength in you through Him. God Bless you DW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post today really hit home. Particularity the part about temperance and how we should not allow it to continue to play on like a bump on a cd.

    In my thoughts and prayers

    Elizabeth and Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wise words - DW - I will hang on to "why let take up room in your head, paying no rent even" - let it go and continue to enjoy / engage what's in front of you.

    ReplyDelete