Friday, May 3, 2013

3 May 2013

Villamayor del Rio, just east of Belorado

Imprinted

Buen Camino,

Today we started off with the absence of rain. This was welcome and rare for our journey thus far. We had stayed at a B&B with a wonderful home. First time I've slept on a real bed, had our own bathroom, and used real towels. It was luxurious.

The 25k today was through some beautiful, rolling countryside. There were far reaches of barley fields that were so gorgeous green. The fields that surrounded us made me think of pictures of Ireland. They were bursting with green on undulating hills.

This part of the camino stretched thru the Meseta. Even though much of the trail ran alongside busy highway, the stunning green hills outshouted the noise. I was consumed in God's beauty.

It led me to a contemplation of all the fingerprints on my life of those who love me. So many have come and gone in my life who have touched me and made me rich in family and friendship. Their prints not only are memorable, but have formed me. This day of reflection allowed me to pause and genuflect with the memory of so many and to consider their story/their struggles/their joys.

Not only their fingerprints, but their palm prints as well. I spent time recalling how blessed it was to have the pilgrim's blessing at our church a week before I left. It is customary to raise one's hand, palm forward, toward the one being blessed. During the mass, my family came forward with my pack and boots, put their hands on me, and shared with the congregation the blessing Father Rich prayed over me.

Today in particular I recalled my little grandson, Brady, scratching at my shoulder to grab his Papa. Oh, how I relish the feel and memory! Behind me were the outstretched palms of so many praying for me.

Today, I'm reminded of how the fingerprints, the palm prints, the prayer prints have empowered this camino walk. Names and faces of so many flip like a powerpoint slide show in my mind. As I see each face, I recall their goodness, their prayer requests, and their needs.

How much pleasure it has given to have these extended prayer times for you all. How much love I feel for your life. How much this love has indeed,' imprinted' me.

We're all collages of love prints, aren't we? Take a pause to capture that imaginary artwork. I have. A canvass of all of our love imprinted on one masterpiece to be enjoyed.

Above all this, what was most penetrating to me today was a line in Isaiah that says, "Even if a mother should forget her child, I will never forget you." Now the best part, "I have carved you on the palms of my hands."

How humbling. How privileged. To have my image on the hands of God. To be "imprinted."

That is a gift beyond imagination: being on His love collage along with all 'imprinted' . What an artwork of prints and imprints!

If you can really picture it, look for mine. They will be the ones with ice cream stains on it.

Upcoming:
Villafranca, a 300m climb in 17k
steep ups and drastic descents
Prayers deeply appreciated

Carinosamente,

Deacon Willie

No comments:

Post a Comment